A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Aug 14, 2016

Our Lowe's and Ikea Kitchen Remodel...

And finally - my 'kitchen remodel' post...
As you'll soon see - it is indeed a Lowe's and Ikea kitchen...

To jump right in - these are KraftMaid cabinets that we
 purchased from Lowe's - and designed with Lowe's.
(Whew - what a long process... and full of hard decisions!)
We had a contractor that we had experience with do the install.
This cost a little more than a total DIY - but made for way less
 stress for My love and was totally worth it to us.
  They are cream - although may appear white in the photos...

The shelves to the left of the microwave (our only new appliance purchase) - 
I used in my antique booth at one time (they were much longer).
My Love cut them down and now they sit on Ikea brackets...

Our kitchen is U-shaped and opens into a family room.  
This is the family room end...

I found these wrought iron wall hooks in an antique shop 
(actually my sister in law's booth)  and saved them for 'who knows when'.  
And here they are... love 'em!

The other end of the kitchen is a bit more jumbled as it holds our techy stuff.  
You can find more on the hutch (also just Kraftmaid cabinets) 
in this blog post.  It is a dark-stained cherry wood.

The pendant sink light is another Lowe's find for around $25.

We (or rather I) decided to forego a dishwasher this go round.
   This drawer unit (gotta have drawer units!!) is the same size as a
 dishwasher and can be exchanged at any point.  Plumbing is ready to go... 

This countertop corner I'm sure will evolve over time.  
Our countertops are just a high-grade laminate.  They look great -
 cost much less than most granites - and are a no-maintenance option.  
Works for me.  Again - these came from Lowe's.

 A favorite addition to our kitchen is this island from Ikea...  
We found ourselves there on a day trip during the remodel 
and over our 30th anniversary and on impulse - bought it.
  We thought we'd like it - but we abundantly love it!  
We have a big hairy dog -and yes - I have to wipe off things 
sometimes - but I still love it!  
(Our ceiling is too low for a pot hanger.)


The chairs/stools (with backs - gotta have backs) are also from Ikea... 
And check out these great farmhouse cushions - (yep - from Ikea...)

Here are  just a few shots of the 'before' kitchen.  It doesn't look awful - 
but the quality of the cabinets was very poor.  

My Love installed this kitchen himself when we added on to our home
approx 20 years ago.  It was a bitter-sweet addition as it was related
 to some chronic health issues I was experiencing at the time.  
To help afford the house addition - we opted for 'cheap' 
cabinets...hoping the day would come we could upgrade it.

In this picture (the current 'hutch' area) - 
I had already begun unpacking the cupboards.
(A kitchen remodel is lots of work - even when you don't do the install!)
Very few of these cheap cabinets survived the removal process,
but thankfully - served us well when we needed them.


We are beyond grateful that the Lord allowed us this upgrade.  
We give Him all the honor and glory 
and are mindful to use this blessing to bless others.
My chronic health issues are doing much better - 
and I rejoice daily!

I was tickled by a comment from a service man who was in 
our home just this past week.
We were discussing the kitchen and in his own words - 
he referred to it as a 'farmhouse style' kitchen.  
Thank you sir!  I'll take 'farm house' any day!  

  Stop on by - we'd love to have you.  ~Joyce
Linking to Let's Talk Vintage



5 comments:

D said...

Love it!!! I would cook and bake in your kitchen anyday...Deedy

Betsy said...

I love your kitchen. The cabinets, the island, everything!!! Thank you for sharing with us. How wonderful that the Lord blessed you with the kitchen of your dreams.
Blessings,
Betsy

Hives and Honey Bees said...

It's wonderful!!! I know you're enjoying it, as you should.

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Looks great, Joyce ! You can share your yummy cooking with others and what a blessing it would be!

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Giving you a feature this mornin'!!! Have a wonderful day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...