A patched together lifestyle of thrift and charm...

Aug 18, 2011

Cinnamon Buttermilk Coffee Cake...

This week I made the most delicious coffee cake.  I used 
gluten free flours in mine - and it was so good you couldn't 
even tell it wasn't regular wheat flour...
 Cinnamon Buttermilk Coffee Cake
                   2 c. flour                               1 t. cinnamon
                   2 c. brown sugar                   1 egg
                   1/2 c. butter                          1 c. buttermilk
                   1/3 c. flour                            1/2 c. chopped nuts 
                   1 t. baking soda

Cut butter into 2 c. flour and brown sugar till it resembles course meal.  Set aside 3/4 c. of this mixture for topping.  To remaining flour mixture add 1/3 c. flour and dry ingreds.  Mix well and add 
egg and buttermilk.  Mix just till dry ingred. are moistened.  Pour into greased 9" square pan.  Mix the 3/4 c. mixture and the nuts.  Sprinkle over top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 min.  
Cool in pan and cut.

My thrifty variations:  for the buttermilk, I used milk that had gone 'bad' in my fridge.
I only had 1 1/2 c. brown sugar - so used gran. sugar for the last 1/2 c.
Almonds were the only nuts I had on hand - so that's what I used.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Etsy Listing
2 Children's Wonder Story Books

1 comment:

Jillian's Bella Rosa Antiques said...

Yummy yummy! How was the rest of your day at the ant mall?

I have some of those children's books... just picked them up recently! (The Surprise Doll) They are too cute...I want to keep them for Bebe to read!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...